What movies are covered under my license?

Printable PDF Version

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Why are some popular Christian movies not covered by the CVLI License?

Unfortunately, some producers have elected to go with their own licensing strategies, instead of the blanket coverage that CVLI provides. As a legal owner of intellectual property, that is certainly their right. Nevertheless, we continue to dialogue with these producers and remain hopeful for eventual coverage agreements.

But keep in mind: CVLI represents hundreds of producers (including most major studios) and thousands of titles, so we are able to offer the best value by far when it comes to Church Movie licensing.

We own the movie, do we still need a license to view or show it in public?

Yes. The location requires a license regardless of who owns the movie. While you may own the actual movie, you are only granted the right to view it in a personal, private setting. Any public screening requires a license.

Once I have my license, do I need to call CVLI and obtain permission to show a covered movie?

No. Your Certificate of License states your right under copyright law to show copyrighted motion pictures and other programs that are available for rental or purchase in any legal format, such as DVDs, in your specified facility, without the need to contact us.

What are the advertising restrictions?

Generally, you may not advertise the details of your movie night to the general public. On the other hand, details of movie exhibitions, including name of movie, characters and production company can be advertised to your intended audience. Some Christian producers do allow you to advertise the title and characters to the general public.

Please SEE ATTACHED for the complete list

We do not charge admission. Do we still need a license?

Yes. The U.S. Copyright Act states that regardless of whether an admission fee is charged, a license is required. In fact, the license does not cover showings where an admission fee is charged.

We are a non-profit. Do we still need a license?

Yes. The legal requirement to obtain a license applies equally to non-profit and for-profit organizations.

We are a Sunday school or child care center; do we qualify for a “face to face” teaching exemption?

No. The educational exemption is narrowly defined and applies to full-time, non-profit academic institutions only.

We rent our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?

Yes. The exhibitor is considered the “primary infringer,” but the owner may be held vicariously liable or considered to be a “contributory infringer.”

Can this license be packaged with our CCLI licenses?

No. The CCLI and CVLI licenses are separate and have different fees and renewal dates.

Still can’t find the answers to your questions? For help, please use the…

Members Only Support Form Verify Church Size